10/14/2006

I Heart Hippies

Such a lovely Saturday and I am stuck in the library. But I am obviously not uber-committed to my studies, as I am posting here in an effort to procrastinate from my process notes and my take home midterm.
Thursday night my race car driver friend took me to a concert as he had purchased an extra ticket. It was a band called the String Cheese Incident and they were, as he put it, "a jam band." It was oh so very interesting. Apparently jam bands aren't concerned so much with playing their songs the same way every time. Of course they were extraordinary musicians and seemed, to my unmusical ear, quite skilled. I likened their music to what I have heard of Phish, so out came the hippies. They were everywhere! It was charming. I had so much fun watching them. I was trying to think of a way to describe the evening and feel that numerically is the best way.
One free concert ticket (also the number of songs I recognized --> the cover of Magic Carpet Ride they did).
Two guys in the alley next to the theater selling balloons of nitrous (aka. hippie crack, as that is what Race Car Driver called it).
Three weirdos wearing capes at the show. Someone should tell those boys that is not the way to get girls to sleep with them.
Four people who had taken off their shoes and started twirling in the aisles of the theater. Freakin' hippies.
Five white folks with dread locks so massive their hair probably has a name and identity of its own.
Six dollars for Miller Lite! Uber-gross.
Seven unsharing people I saw sparkin' up around us during the show. Apparently it is a fallacy that hippies like to share because none of them offered me anything.
Eight very rhythm-less boys doing some hippie dance that looked like a cross between Elaine's dance on Seinfeld and a seizure. (There were many more inadequate dancers, but I saw eight VERY bad ones.)
Nine neuvo-hippies with their T-Mobile Sidekicks out during the show texting their friends. How is that leading the hippie lifestyle I'd like to know.
And Ten songs were played throughout the course of the show, but as they were each twenty minutes long and were very fluid it felt like a lot.

1 Comments:

At 4:15 PM , Blogger Charlie said...

Oh Contrare.. mon ami !!

You did not see real hippies. If the smoke did not travel around for a group share.. then they were just psuedo-hippies. Maybe you could do a research paper on these people - "PsuedoHippies:Who are they really?"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home